October 1, 2013

"Normal" life

I haven't done anything great in the past couple days, but don't let that discourage you from reading the rest of this post!! I just wanted to comment on a couple of the things I have done recently.

1. I walked two blocks down from my flat and met my friend, Rachel, for breakfast at Speedy's Cafe! For those of you that don't know, Speedy's is the cafe in the BBC series Sherlock. In the show, they reside at 221B Baker St, which just happens to actually be filmed at a flat down the street from me and next to Speedy's! I mentioned this in my very first post but that was a while ago. Anyway, Rachel is the only other person here that also watches Sherlock, so we went together and it was completely obvious that 75% of the people eating there were only there because of the show. So we tried to act as cool as possible and only took one picture after we had eaten. I had a cup of Earl Grey and delicious scrambled eggs on toast. Great morning!!

Okay so maybe I took two pictures. But I thought it was cool how the address on the door is on a piece of wood that has been screwed in- easy removal for filming!

2. I went on a run through Regent's Park with Hailey and we stopped to take a picture with the camels!

 They're hard to see, but they're behind us, I swear.

3. Also on this run, I found what I think might be my favorite part of the park: this beautiful elephant! I want one.

 
4. The Fresher's Fayre was this past Thursday and Friday, which is a line of booths promoting each of UCL's clubs and societies that snakes through all of the buildings on the campus. Hailey and I perused the booths (which took about 30 minutes, you wouldn't believe how many there were) and I ended up joining three societies- Book Club, Lacrosse Society, and Women's Football Society (soccer). After careful deliberation, I decided to stick it out with lacrosse (no pun intended). Football was way too intense- they had their trophies on their table- and lacrosse seemed more fun and relaxed overall. I'm hoping to do Book Club as well, but that hasn't really picked up yet. Lacrosse, however, had their first practice on Sunday. I thought we would meet on campus, walk to a nearby field and throw the ball around a little. No. We got onto buses that took us an hour outside of London to a sports complex owned by UCL. There were probably 100 new people there and only 20 or so had ever played before. I broke off with the more experienced players and it was so fun! We just covered the basics, passing, catching, shooting, because none of us had played in a while. All of the girls are so nice and fun! Also, you have the choice of playing on the Ladies Team (I haven't heard the word ladies used so many times in my life before) or the Mixed Team, which is both boys and girls, but the boys play with women's sticks and play by the women's rules. It's hilarious watching the guys run up and down with the wrong sticks. After practice, we took the bus back to the city and some of us went over to The Rocket, a pub a couple blocks from campus. It was about 30 people- 15 returning players and 15 new players. The returning players taught us the "Lacrosse Pub Rules," and things got crazy after that. Mostly with the returning players, though. All of us newbies were still a little shy. But the night ended up being so fun.

5. This is piggybacking off of number 4, but I thought it needed an explanation. In Europe, it's the "cool thing" to join clubs. It doesn't really have that negative connotation that can sometimes come with joining campus clubs in America. Joining clubs is a way to be social, especially sports clubs. Every Wednesday night, a bar on campus called Phineas throws Sportsnite, which is when all of the sport teams go to the bar dressed to different themes. This week for instance, the Committee Members of the team (president, VP, social, etc) are dressing as cops, and the rest of the players, returning and new, are dressing as robbers. The teams hang out at the pub for a couple of hours, and then the team has buses that drive everyone to Loop, a club near campus. The entire club is reserved for UCL sports teams!

6. The least fun fact in this post. Classes started yesterday. My schedule ended up being pretty good, Tuesday's are just crazy for me. I'm taking Social Anthropology, Material and Visual Culture (another Anthropology class), Economic Analysis, and Holocaust Writing. I've only gotten lost once trying to get to a class- the doors weren't numbered in the building! So I ended up sitting down in a Law class, then walking into a Chemistry class during lecture, then finally finding my class after thirteen minutes had gone by. It was rough.

I think that's all! Miss everyone!!!!

x
lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment